First level:
I would expect to see that message when a list owner sends “ADD MYLIST [log in to unmask]” to LISTSERV without specifying any name and that LISTSERV does not have a name on file for [log in to unmask] If LISTSERV had a name on file for that address, it would use that name.

Second level:
LISTSERV wants to have a personal name for every subscriber of every list.