A couple of years ago we started feeding our incoming Listserv mail through our IronPort spam appliances and that pretty much killed off this problem.  I guess any spam filtering engine will work but you need one in the same way you need one for your general e-mail server.

Melissa

From: LISTSERV Site Administrators' Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Larry Finch
Sent: Friday, March 6, 2015 1:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LSTSRV-L] requests to post sent to Editor

The problem with this, which we used several years ago, is that it opens you up to "bounce back" spam when the listserv sends a reject. A high volume of bounce backs gets you flagged as a spammer by many ISPs. That's the same issue as the non-member solution (which otherwise sounds elegant). At the peak we were rejecting 500 messages an hour.

That's why we started blocking at the postfix level.

Larry
--
Larry Finch
Sent by iPhone