I want to reiterate Wayne's point about "back-office" lists. I recall an incident in which management asked for an audit of the LISTSERV service for the express purpose of identifying and deleting inactive lists. One of the lists which was deleted had no activity in its own right, but was referenced as either a sub-list or to grant posting rights on several other active lists. Needless to say, it didn't take long for problems to crop up. The lack of archives does not necessarily mean that a list is not being used in some manner.

--
Paul Russell
Lakeville, Indiana USA