If undefined, the missing variables have their default values, which can depend on the type of license, operating system and architecture, and are insufficient for searching large archives. If you are setting the variables via go.user, don’t forget to export them J

The DBRINDEX variable (just DBRINDEX with no suffix) is obsolete and should be allowed to default to 1. The DBRINDEX feature was introduce back when 64MB was a generous amount of RAM, and for some sites it was necessary to disable it or suffer the consequences of sudden, unpredictable paging storms. Without index, you are basically scanning the entire archive with every search and it will never scale up to lists with large archives.

You can use the SHOW VERSION command to identify the HPO version.

LISTSERV(R) High Performance for Windows version 16.0, managed by:

If you do not have it, ask your sales rep for a one-month trial LAK and you will see instantly if it is worth the upgrade for your workload. But HPO usually makes a huge difference for lists with very large archives, especially if tuned as in my previous message. And with 8GB you could probably double the numbers I suggested, although you will eventually experience diminishing returns.

Eric

From: LISTSERV Site Administrators' Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Crum, Janice (NIH/CIT) [C]
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 10:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Advise on tuning please

Eric,

Thank you for taking your time to offer your sound advice.  We are running ListServ 16.0 Build Date 13May2014 on a Windows 2012R2 64bit OS virtual server with 8GB virtual memory and 4 - 2.67GHZ virtual processors. 

Could you please tell me how I can verify if we are or are not running the high performance option?  I ask because I found the first three variables in the current configuration without values and a DBRINDEX setting that is currently “undefined”.  However, I am unable to locate the DBRINDEX_CACHE or MAX_OPEN_ARCHIVE_FILES variables in the current configuration.  And if we are not running the HPO option, should we consider doing so and how?

Thank you,

Janice    

Sent: Friday, December 04, 2015 12:12 PM

Try these settings on a 23 July 2012 or later HPO build:

FIOC_TARGET=1000000

FIOC_TRIM=1050000

FIOC_WARNING=1100000

DBRINDEX_CACHE=250000

MAX_OPEN_ARCHIVE_FILES=50

This assumes you have a 64-bit operating system with at least 1GB of unused RAM, which is usually the case on physical servers, but you may need to increase the RAM quota if you use a VM. You may also have to increase process open file quotas. The first search after you restart LISTSERV may still be slow, but from then on you should see a big improvement.

I think we got rid of our last non-VM production instance around two years ago, but you do have to be careful with the VM settings, and in particular the RAM, which we allocate generously in our production environment. I don’t mean that LISTSERV needs a huge amount of RAM, I just mean that one usually allocates RAM conservatively in virtual machines and with LISTSERV HPO this can have a big impact.

Eric

From: LISTSERV Site Administrators' Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kern, Thomas (CONTR)
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2015 11:05

I am the Listserv Admin from Dept. of Energy. I run our Listserv server in a Linux VM on VMWare. We are experiencing the same problem. Since I do not have that much of a customer workload on the server, I have set a cron event to recycle the Listserv process every 15 minutes.

--

Thomas Kern

ActioNet Inc

On contract to

U.S. Department of Energy

(301)903-2211 (Office)

(301)905-6427 (Mobile)

--

A sublety of Murphy's Law:

If it can go wrong, it already has,

and you just haven't realized it yet.

From: LISTSERV Site Administrators' Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Crum, Janice (NIH/CIT) [C]
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2015 7:45 AM
Subject: [LSTSRV-L] Advise on tuning please

Hello,

I manage the ListServ for the NIH.   Our ListServ server is running in a VMWare virtual environment.  We have recently experienced extensive searches that have negatively impacted the ListSev service.  The end result is users unable to authenticate to ListServ.  A reboot quickly resolves the issue.  Has anyone tackled this issue successfully?  I was wondering if the tuning options would help but I was unable to find information on LSoft’s support site.

Any information and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Janice Crum

To unsubscribe from the LSTSRV-L list, click the following link:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-PEACH.exe?SUBED1=LSTSRV-L&A=1