The  SPF check should probably be on the “envelope sender address” from the SMTP dialog.  This is what usually shows in the mail logs of sendmail or postfix---e.g. it might be from [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> in the logs, while the user sees the original sender in the From: display of his mail client.

You are correct that unhappiness will ensue if we try matching the From: line and the SPF record/IP address, but it applies to more situations than a mailing list.

            Ken Sallenger / [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> / 803 777-9335
      University Technology Services / U. of South Carolina

From: LISTSERV Site Administrators' Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 12:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Modify "From:" mail header

Thank you for your reply.

I noticed the "Sender" heading containing the list address but this is really not what I need. I am facing problems with anti-spam techniques checking whether the domain in the "From:" address matches the sending mail server. Since Listserv resends the message while retaining the original "From:" header, this creates a mismatch.

I reckon this could be solved if the "From:" address is modified to the list address.

Regards,

Lucas