Could you not also add the new list to the old list’s archives via an access-list e.g.

Notebook=Yes,[path-to-old-list-archives],[interval],Private,(newlist)

If you lock the old list so no new subscribers or posts are added, you should have your old archives available to the new list for searching as you desire.

Date: Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 10:31 AM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: 15 years of archives into a database

On 3/8/2017 09:10, Erixon-Merritt, Mignon wrote:
Yes, Pete, the SEARCH function is marvelous and we use it extensively.
But administratively I will have to close the list over the next 2 years.
I’m just trying to map a migration plan for their archives.

SUBSCRIPTION= CLOSED
OWNER= ???
SEND= ???

DEL listname *@*  ???

Update MAILTPL as appropriate

Depending upon, current access to those NOTEBOOKs, you may want to make public (or not).