I mentioned that I had opened a Microsoft support ticket on this 'fraud detection' issue.  I got a phone call today closing the ticket.  They were very nice, but essentially told me that O365's new "Email Safety Tips" feature noted that a mailing list user who posts a note to an off campus server and then receives a copy of that original message from the mailing list (Sender: the list server host and From: the original poster) trips the mechanism to mark the message with the fraud detection warning.  Basically it was a "works as designed" response.

I was given two steps to perform.

  1.   Login to the O365 Portal > Click Admin > Click Security & Compliance > Click Threat Management > Click Mail filtering > Click Edit Default Spam filter policy > Click the drop down for Spam & Bulk actions > Uncheck Safety Tips > Click Save
  2.  Use Microsoft feedback link to comment on my desire to see a change in this feature at http://office365.uservoice.com/

In my case this will involve fielding dozens or hundreds of complains about the interaction of O365 and LISTSERV and helping remote clients contact their site O365 administrators about the wisdom of turning off Microsoft's Email Safety Tips.

If you are also having trouble with these fraud detection warnings, I would suggest that you also open an Office 365 support ticket to let them know how wide spread this feature affects their clients.

Good luck,
-Rich Helmke