We use Office 365 with both Outlook 2016 and Exchange 2016 on-premise, and I have never seen it generate winmail.dat files. I suppose that if a user were to go out of his way to disable HTML and enable Rich Text Format, some ancient code in Outlook would spring to life and create a winmail.dat file, but this is not something you want to send on the open Internet where people do not necessarily use Outlook. On top of that:

In addition to the previously listed information, the path to your personal folders (.pst) file and your log on name are embedded in the Winmail.dat file. Although this data is not explicitly exposed to the recipient, if the recipient opens the Winmail.dat file for editing in a binary or text editor, they can see the path and log on name. Note that the password information is not revealed. To ensure that the path to your .pst file or your log on name is not included in the Winmail.dat attachment, use the steps in this article to send messages that does not include the Winmail.dat file.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/290809

I don’t want to volunteer my login info to every random person I send mail to. That’s just asking for trouble.

We probably don’t use every possible Outlook function at L-Soft, but we do use meeting/room booking requests a lot and that works fine without winmail.dat. Sales use custom forms a lot, and they work fine too, although users don’t mail the actual forms to each other. We pre-install them on their computers.

Eric

From: LISTSERV Site Administrators' Forum <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Brett W. Watts
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 18:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Getting Winmail.dat files from users just migrated to Office 365

Hello Everyone,

We are in the process of migrating our college to Office 365.  So far, it has gone smoothly but there have been those “Didn’t think of that” glitches.

One of the biggest ones is that migrated users that send messages to a mailing list with a digest format, has the message arrive in plain text with a Winmail.dat attachment.

Has anyone had this issue before with Office 365?  The problem seems to be that the Digest format is turned into the Microsoft NTEF format, then Listserv put it in Digest format then sends it out to the mailing list subscribers but when it gets back to Office 365, Office 365 does not know how to handle the file so it creates a winmail.dat file.

I have found instruction on how to turn off the TNEF format on Office365 in the remote domains but have not set up that fix as of yet.  But the issue is that I don’t want to turn off the TNEF format for all outside domains since that would kill any Outlook functions ..

Please let me know if anyone has a had anything similar happen with Listserv and Office 365.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Brett

========
Brett Watts
Senior System Administrator
Information Technology Services
Pomona College
156 E 7th Street
Claremont, CA 91711

Email:  [log in to unmask]
Phone:  (909) 607-4281
Fax:     (909) 621-8403