I’m going to respond to things a bit out of order ...

On Jul 21, 2018, at 7:29 PM, Lawrence Finch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We are running a very old version of Fedora (17) so it may be an out-of-date library issue. We plan to switch to the new server soon. But it’s only lsv that fails to run. All of the other listserv executables start OK.

I’m not very familiar with Fedora, so this may be a dumb question, but is this a 32-bit version of Linux?  If so, the current LISTSERV version is only available in a 64-bit version, so that might be the problem.

If that isn’t the problem:

> We don’t need either (and don’t want either), and we did choose to exclude them during the installation.

Can you send a copy of install.log, and/or a transcript of the installation process?

> We copied the executable from another server where it does start. The lsv generated by this install is identical to the one on the other server (using cmp).

If you use ldd to determine what libraries each lsv version is using, is the output different between the two copies of lsv?

> If we can’t get it up, is there an easy way to revert to a previous version? I see that there is a backup of it, but it doesn’t appear to be complete.

If you made a backup of ~listserv/ before upgrading, then you could restore from that; or, if you still have the installer for the old LISTSERV version you were using, you could use that installer (as if you were doing an upgrade) to install the old version while maintaining your data. If neither is the case, then, I am guessing you installed LISTSERV using the .bin file — is that correct?  If that’s the case, then I think you are probably talking about the contents of ~listserv/backup*.  Can you send a directory listing for this location?

Thanks,
jwgh