Hi, Glenn,

First question: Has the web interface to archives ever worked? If it has worked in the past the usual reason it stopped is permissions on the web archives directory have changed. If it has never worked go to the Site Manager’s manual and check the instructions for setting up web archives.

A review of how Notebooks work:

There is a notebook directory for each list, usually in the listserv/home directory. It contains “notebooks” that are generated at the intervals specified in the list header. Notebooks are text files that contain the list’s messages in a standard email format. The location can be found in the list configuration header for the list. Notebooks can be downloaded by users with email “get” requests. The web archive, if enabled, scans the notebooks and builds the web view of the notebooks. This scan is done every time listserv is rebooted, and also at midnight server time every day.

The web archive directory can be anywhere in the path for the website, but the preferred location is an “archives” directory in the site’s root. For example, if the site is www.mylist.org, the archives directory might be (for a standard linux installation) /var/www/html/www.mylist.org/archives. After creating the archives directory create a subdirectory in it for each list. The subdirectory name must match exactly the list name. Permissions on the archive directory and these subdirectories must be read/write/execute for the listserv user.

If it has worked in the past all of the setup is probably correct; just check that the permissions allow the listserv user to both navigate to the archives directory and write to it and the list subdirectories. After checking this delete the contents of the list subdirectories, then restart listserv and it should rebuild the archives for the list(s).

Post back if you have any questions or need more help.

Best regards,
Larry
Site manager for hmssurprise.org.