1.  Make sure you are using HTML email format and not "rich text" email format.  This usually is more of an Outlook problem than anything else, but it may be something you can select in other products.  The "rich text" option in Outlook causes Outlook/Exchange to create winmail.dat attachments, which are proprietary to Microsoft, and can't usually be decoded by anything other than Outlook, and point of fact, LISTSERV strips winmail.dat by default for that reason.  That can be overridden, but if others are not using Outlook, it won't help them to do so.  (By "Outlook" I mean both the separate client and the webmail versions.)

  1.  Binary attachments such as images are normally encoded, usually using Base64, which does increase the size of the attachments, but usually it does not double the size of the attachment.  I would raise the Sizelim= setting to something large enough that you won't have to worry about it.  51K seems oddly specific.  You might want to try an arbitrary setting of 100K.

  1.  Note also that allowing "image" alone may not be sufficient today.  You might need "image,image/*".  For instance, there is a MIME type for PNG images (image/png) which simply setting "image" would miss.  On the other hand, JPG and GIF images should pass through with simply "image".  It depends, actually, on how the originating mail client describes the attachment.  (For instance, the old Eudora client used to call every binary attachment an "octet-string" rather than try to determine the actual content type and generate a proper MIME header accordingly.)  The full list of image types is found at http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml#image .  And if you are sending images, a lot of images these days are larger than 100KB, so you might want to consider just how large the images are that you are sending, and reset Sizelim= accordingly.

  1.  It's unlikely that anything needs to be changed at the server level unless one of the server-level message limits has been set incredibly low.  However, if messages are going through without their images, you're not hitting a server-level message limit (otherwise the message would be rejected).

From: LISTSERV Site Administrators' Forum <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of deb cady
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2022 12:37 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: embedded images set up

I am a member of a list that send posts with embeded images to its users with no problem.  But I can't get my own list at post email with embedded images.

How does listserv need to be setup to post emails with  embedded images?

I have the attachments flag set for "image"; and have the message size at 51K  .  Is there someting I need on the server level?

Thanks,

Deb