Hi there,
  Several of our local lists have recently started bouncing messages
from userid's like: [log in to unmask]  The stated reason is usually
"mail origin seems to be a mailer or mail-daemon."

This is the header of one offending posting:
>Date:     Tue,  6 Aug 1991 16:52 EDT
>Original_From:  NEIS::ALERT
>Comments: This is gatewayed mail.  Warning:  Mail may not
>          necessarily be returnable through this path.
>From:     General Delivery <POSTMASTER@USGSRESV>
>To:       SEISM-L@BINGVMB
>Original_To:  ISDRES::BITNET%"SEISM-L@BINGVMB"

A copy of the entire bounce is below.

The NODES INFO1 table shows USGSRESV to be a VAX/VMS machine belonging
to the US Geological Survey.  I telnetted to sri-nic.arpa and did a
quick whois on both USGSRESV and US Geological Survey with no result.
I sent to NetServ@PUCC for the Nodentry for USGSRESV and found the name of
their techinfo person and netop to be J Fisher (JFISHER@USGSRESV).

I debated writing this person, but decided not to when other lists started
getting ill w/ the same problem.  Some gateways (only on VAX/VMS machines so
far) make outgoing mail appear to listserv to be from the userid POSTMASTER.
I assume the problem is caused by a recent change to listserv which sniffs
out messages that looks like bounces.  A good change, by the way, no
critisism intended.

Having said all that, where do I go from here?   Is there some quick, easy
fix for this or must it be dealt with on a case by case basis?

Thank you kindly,
=brian

Brian Frederick - State University of New York at Binghamton - Computer Center
[log in to unmask] -or- [log in to unmask] (607)777-6127