Anthea Tillyer said:

>But seriously, why would anyone want to sabotage a list?

Simple.  Many people feel very strongly about certain issues.  Those strong
feelings may be positive or negative.  Depending upon the nature/topic of
a given list, 'outsiders' may wish to destroy it.  [The Internet is hardly
the sole province of academicians & professionals, after all.  ;-) ]

Lydia provides a forum for Vietnam War vets; I provide one for gay, lesbian,
and bisexual librarians [I've actually been fairly lucky in that major
disruptions have been few, and have generally been dealt with swiftly and
effectively].  Deliberate sabotage a possibility?  Yes!

Surely there are lists dealing with abortion/right-to-life issues, politics,
adoptive rights, child abuse, 'survivor' issues, religion, etc., etc., which
certain individuals would love to see die.  Thus, overt attempts at sabotage
occur...

Later,
kt