At 11:18 AM 8/17/97 -0600, you wrote: >At 02:04 AM 8/15/1997 +0000, Cynthia wrote: >>Some people are questioning why I am so bothered by this and being an >>unreasonable listowner. I've worked hard to keep flames off my list and I > Greetings, We have incorporated these values into the introduction letter that a new subscriber receives Dan Times New Roman Recognize and Accept Cultural and Lìnguistic Differences The Intemet is interational, and while English is generally accepted as the common language of the network, list owners and list subscribers cannot afford to take the position that everyone on the Intemet understands English well. In a medium that is invariably connected to language, special understanding is required to deal with questions or statements from people for whom English is not the primary tongue. Often today (at least in the US) a person's first sustained ínteraction with others on an internatíonal basis is via the Intemet. It is imperative that this interaction be on the highest level of cordiality and respect from the outset in order for all concemed to benefit. Additionally, care should be taken when usíng local idiom and slang. A common word or phrase used by Americans in everyday speech, for instance, might be taken as profanity or insult by those in other English-speaking countries, and may not be understood at all by non-native speakers of English. When a list has a high international readership, it is probably best to avoid non-standard English so as to provide the clearest and least- objectionable exchange of ideas. Private Mail Should Dictate Private Responses If someone on a mailing list has sent a private message to you (i.e., not to the list at large) and you have lost that person's address but want to respond do not post private mail to the list. The review command will give you a copy of the list membership that you can search for the person's address. If this approach does not work, contact the local postmaster or the list owner for help. Flaming is (Usually Inapropriate) Flames (insults) belong in private mail, if they belong in mail at all. Discussions will often result in disagreements. Rebuttals to another person's opinions or beliefs should always be made in a rational, logical and mature manner, whether they are made publicly or privately. What is a flame can range from the obvious (ranting and raving, abusive comments, etc.) to the not-so-obvious (comments about how many "newbies" seem to be on the list these days, "RTFM!" exhortations, etc.). Foul Language Subscribers should refrain from abusive or derogatory language that might be considered questionable by even the most liberal and open-minded of networkers. If you wouldn't say it in front of your mother, don't say it in electronic mail. >