I'm late to this thread but thought since I have an exactly opposite view to the views expressed on this thread, I might as well stick my neck out.  I absolutely love emails that utilize HTML because they can provide a richness to the communication that plain text cannot.

        Pet Weiss did the best job of succinctly summarizing reasons why so many listowners seem to abhor HTML in emails, so I might was well pick on his replies:

Pete Weiss wrote:

>Because:
>
>1) some email clients sent simultaneous straight ASCII AND HTMLized text:
>the recipients certainly don't need to receive both

        But this format allows an email client to read the message, either in its living color version (HTML) complete with various fonts, colors and sizes, or, if an older client, in its straight text version.

>2) some email clients don't understand HTML

        I don't know the percentage, but it must be small and growing smaller by the day.  Gad, folks can get Netscape or Explorer for free!

        The question is, do we dumb down everybody else for the sake of a few behind-the-curve subscribers?  Or do we move forward with the technology and all that it promises?

>3) archives become greatly expanded

        The growth of archives due to HTML is miniscule as compared with the ever-expanding disk drive sizes.  I just picked up a 12 Gig hard drive for $250.  It would take years and years of archiving just to fill it up even half way (okay, I didn't actually do the math so if you want to nail me here, go for it).

>4) many folks would sooner not have attachments since they may not be
>able to process them

        Again, why dumb down the works for the sake of a few who refuse to keep up?

        Well, just thought I'd stir the old pot.  Kinda needed the break.  ;-)

        Stephen C. Nill, J.D.

AMERICAN PHILANTHROPY REVIEW
30021 Tomas Street, Suite 300
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA  92688  USA
Telephone:  949-589-5938
Facsimile:  949-589-4399
Editorial Office: [log in to unmask]
List Editors:  [log in to unmask]
Book Review Editors:  [log in to unmask]
Business Office:  [log in to unmask]

http://CharityChannel.com

For information on our Internet discussion forums, visit
        http://CharityChannel.com/Forums