Paul Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Mar 1993 12:47:31 -0500
> Release 1.7f  will introduce a  command confirmation system (to  be fully
> exploited in the  following release), with the first  application being a
> return address verification system for public lists with large numbers of
> subscribers from unreliable  networks. This feature is  enabled by coding
> "Subscription= Open,Confirm". When the user sends a subscription request,
> he is mailed a confirmation request message:

I hope there is the ability to exclude this mandate for some networks,
especially those that charge for outbound messages (hint, hint).  This
does two things (based on later comments that the acknowledgement must
be returned in 48 hours or the request is cancelled):

It's going to increase the cost to subscribe for people on systems
that charge for outbound messages and DO return an indicator if the
original message is bounced, like MCI Mail.

One question:  Why can't the confirmation message be routed with a command
job in it, so that if the original confirmation message is bounced, it
will simply sign the user off the list quiet.

Something like this:

------
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

Welcome to the QWK-L List! (Discussion of QWK-Format off-line E-mail readers).
This message confirms that your request for subscription has been accepted.
You may sign off this list at any time by sending the message

SIGNOFF QWK-L

to address

LISTSERV@HELLVM
 or on internet

Virtually,
The listserv Manager, VM-370 service of the Dominion of Hell.

Note: if you get this message okay, you need do nothing; if the message is
bounced by your system, your subscription request will be cancelled to
prevent mail loops.

DO NOT ISSUE AN ANSWER OR REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE OR YOU WILL BE SIGNED OFF
THE LIST WITHOUT WARNING.

//GETLOST JOB
//COMMAND DD *
 SET [log in to unmask]
 SIGNOFF QWK-L QUIET
---

Or however it is done, this is an example.