Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:26:38 -0500
It might depend on what the current intent is. Has the list been idle
since the owner left? Does someone want to start sending messages
through it now? How does this new "someone" define the audience they
wish to reach?

If messages start flowing through the list again, the automatic
bad-address detection process will take care of things and the new owner
will see the daily error report, so an administrative flush is not
really required. There is no way for the LISTSERV system to know which
addresses are still good or not, other than by sending messages to them.

On the other hand, if it has been unused for almost two years, simply
delete all subscribers (quiet delete listname *@*) and let the new owner
populate it fresh based on their new criteria.

Or someone with access to both the list of subscribers, and the email
system list of current addresses, could develop some scripts to compare
the lists, discover which are no longer good, and generate delete commands.

Related question, after an extended idle period, can you be sure those
who are subscribed, and still active in the university email system,
still consider the list relevant?