Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 4 May 1997 17:03:51 -0600
At 06:31 PM 5/4/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Some of us run lists where the goal is actually KEEP people on their list.
>Some of us use listserv as a marketing tool, where swallowing your ego and
>making the customer happy is the prime goal.

I understand that.  A couple of you continue to miss the points.  First,
just set the filter to not-case-sensitive and then no problem.  Second,
anything you change is guaranteed to make someone happy and to piss off
someone else.  In fact, I'll bet that if you made one dork (oops, customer)
happy because you changed the case (if you could), you'd undoubtedly have
several others UNhappy because you changed case, either simply because it
was a change, or because it messed up THEIR filters.  Of course if one sets
a filter a touch less restrictively than the full list address, then again
you've reduced problems with essentially zero chance of other problems
arising from doing so.

And, of course, I'll defer to Eric on the issue of the chance of the case
changing.....he thought of an example I didn't.  Thanks, Eric.  I'll ALWAYS
defer to Eric on all questions relating to LISTSERV, MTAs, and any other
issues relating to email.

cyclops

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534