Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 02:47:13 +0200
The decision of which word best describes your task depends on your list,
its topic, the way it is operated, the country you live in, etc. There is
no word  which is universally better  in all cases. FYI,  before LISTSERV
the accepted term was "moderator". This however implied that the list was
moderated, so a new expression had to  be coined, and it shouldn't be one
that  implies that  the  person  in question  actually  runs a  computer,
because  the whole  idea was  that the  people who  run the  computer can
decentralize  this  responsibility.  I  don't remember  why  "owner"  was
chosen, but any choice was bound to  be flawed in a number of situations.
To start with, "Kplwk" didn't mean  anything to several of the people who
used the  first version of LISTSERV,  although they did take  my word for
granted that  it meant "owner"  in a foreign  language that they  did not
speak. As a matter of fact, the word I wanted to choose does not exist in
English  :-) The  best accurate  translation would  be "person  in charge
of/responsible for",  and then there  are all  sorts of words  which come
close  but  always carry  an  additional  side meaning,  like  "manager",
"officer", "guardian", "keeper", "janitor", etc.

Anyway, no, you may not  use "Manager=", "Moderator=", "Responsabile=" or
"Koordinator="  instead of  "Owner=".  If we  start allowing  alternative
keywords for  every situations where  there is  a potential for  a slight
political incorrectness,  we'll end up  with a 500-page owner  manual and
300 different keywords. "Send= Public", for instance, seems to imply that
the list  is a  public service, which  is very seldom  the case.  Why not
allow "Send= Anyone"? Then there's  "Send= Editor", this implies that the
editor is sending  all the messages! In reality what  we need is "Submit=
Anyone" and  "Approve= Editor".  Although sometimes  the editor  does NOT
approve of the postings but merely  checks that they comply with the list
charter. We should  allow "Review= Editor" for such cases  and we really,
really must replace "Approved-By:" with "Reviewed-By:" or "Confirmed-By:"
or the like.

  Eric