Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 11:35:11 -0500
I am involved in moving a list from American University to another
site and had requested their assistance. I received a reply which
stated that the list owner and the new host site

   "are able to issue all of the commands needed to make the
    transition, and can do so with no intervention from AU."

I knew it could be done without their help; I had hoped to minimize
the inconvenience to the list owner and the downtime for the list.

Here is an overview of the steps required to move a list without
assistance from the current host site. See the LISTSERV documentation
<http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/index.html> for additional
information.

Additions or corrections to this overview are not only welcome, they
are encouraged.

First, some caveats regarding interaction with LISTSERV by email:

* Command messages, including PUT/PUTALL, must be in simple ASCII text
  with no attachments. Be sure to disable any options that cause your
  messages to be sent with HTML, MIME, "styled text". This also applies
  to the use of PGP or other authentication mechanisms which append a
  keyed "signature" to an outbound message.

* The subscriber information lines in the list header file are longer
  than the line-wrap break points in most email software. Be sure to
  disable the line-wrap option, or you will lose subscribers' option
  settings.

* If your email software is configured to automatically add a
  signature, disable this option.

* If your email software is configured to automatically attach a
  personal information file of any kind, disable this option.

* If your service provider automatically appends a banner to every
  outgoing message, you will have problems.

Now, the process:

1. Find a new home and follow their procedures to start a new list.
   When you are notified that the listserv administrator has done
   whatever the listserv administrator needs to do, continue with the
   steps listed below.

2. Send "HOLD listname" to the old home to prevent postings or
   changes from being processed while you are moving the list.

3. Send "QUERY listname FOR *@*" to the old home to get a list of
   all current subscribers with their option settings.

4. Send "GET listname" to the old home to get a copy of the list header
   file, including the subscriber information. Save a copy; you will
   need it later. Edit a second copy, make any changes needed for the
   new home - probably just the archives location in the NOTEBOOK=
   statement - and use PUT (or PUTALL) to store the list at its new
   home. PUTALL is new in either 1.8c or 1.8d. To find out which to
   use send "show version" to the new home, then check the LISTSERV
   documentation.

5. Send "INDEX listname" to the old home to get a list of all files
   associated with the list. The output will include welcome and
   farewell messages, customized templates, and the archive log
   files.

6. Use GET and PUT to retrieve the individual files from the old home
   and store them at the new home.

7. Verify that the list is working at the new home. Query your (or
   someone's) subscriber options and compare the results with the
   output you received from the old home. Check the archives to
   be sure they are accessible. Do whatever else you need to do to
   assure yourself that the move was successful.

8. When you are sure that the list is working at its new home, send
   "RELEASE listname" to the old home to release any pending postings
   or command requests, then edit the list header you saved earlier,
   insert a "New-List=" statement pointing to the new list address,
   and use PUT/PUTALL (see previous discussion) to replace the header
   at the old home. This will cause postings and commands sent to the
   old home to be forwarded to the new home until the old home deletes
   the list header file and/or list-related mail addresses.

9. Post a message to the list informing the subscribers that the list
   has moved. Provide the new list and command addresses and the new
   URL for the list archives, if they are web-accessible.

The PUT command can be used to store an empty file. You can use this
method to effectively delete the archives and/or other list-related
files from the old home. Do not do this unless/until you are sure you
no longer need those files.

You may wish to notify the LISTSERV administrator at the old site that
the list has been moved.

-- pdr

--
Paul Russell