Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 17:36:11 -0500
On Feb 2, 2006, at 5:26 PM — 2/2/06, Eric Thomas wrote:

> Having worked in academia for 13 years, I suspect that it is still
> true
> today that, given a good reason, and any of my former bosses would
> be the
> first to say that this kind of fee level is a VERY good reason, the
> university can simply decide that AOL accounts use the university's
> e-mail
> services at their own risk. If it works, great! If it doesn't, too
> bad.
> After all, the university does provide e-mail accounts for every
> student,
> teacher, etc.

There's some grain of reality to that, however, times are a bit
different now in the academic world than they were years ago.
Distance education is a common learning model in many large
university. The distances can be thousands of miles between teacher,
students, and email servers. For example, we have many students in
Japan who rely on communications from our LISTSERV in Philadelphia.
Those students are free to use our central email server, but from a
practical standpoint, they tend to use local providers. I suspect
some of your other educational customers are in the same boat as we
are here at Temple.

This is not a complaint, just an observation. I am grateful to Erik
for making me aware of this situation. I suspect a lot of
universities will simply tell their AOL users to look in their junk
mail folders frequently and encourage those students to find other
means of handling their email (including using university resources).
I know that if this policy by AOL is fully implemented in June, they
will probably not get a dime from us because our fiscal year begins
in July and our budget for this fiscal year is already spoken for as
far as I know.