Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 10 Dec 1995 15:15:15 PST
On Sun, 10 Dec 1995 12:14, Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>Robert Kapela wrote:
>>This was not a spam. I have only sent this message to some people who are
>>active list owners/administers and might benefit and be interested in my
>>offer.
>
>The usual definition is an unsolicited promotional message (it doesn't have
>to be commercial) sent to a number of people who do not share a narrowly
>focused interest. If you only sent your message to list owners, whether it's
>spam or not is arguable. However, in my professional opinion, promoting a
>list hosting service to those who already own active lists is somewhat akin
>to trying to sell iceboxes to Eskimos. On that ground, your message was a
>waste of bandwidth--a rationale for objecting to spam in general.

In my humble opinion, the posting was no different from Eric's "non-spam",
which I reproduce, in part, below.  It advertises a quite-similar service,
and I didn't see any "flames" about this blatantly-commercial post.

P.S. Murph, remember that Eskimos do need iceboxes, at least part of the time.
P.P.S. It's now politically-correct to use the term "Inuit".
+---