Sat, 14 Sep 1996 01:34:34 -0500
> >         The problem with this approach is that by the time the inane
> >         thread does die, your more focussed, serious subscribers have
> >         become so sick of it that some have unsubscribed.
>
> You might think this will be the predominant behavior, but in my
> experience as owner of a number of lists over many years, very few

It depends on what kind of list it is, Peter.  On lists intended for
discussion of a particular profession, where you have some people who
want to see *ONLY* serious profession related items (not even fun
profession-related stuff) you can see droves of signoffs when
"silly season" goes on just a tad too long.  And if it goes on longer
than that the slightly more tolerant start leaving.  I know, I get the
notes on subs and unsubs.  Most of these people will, eventually, come
back, as there is no substitute.  But they *do* quit in disgust if
the extraneous is allowed to go too far.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L