"Kathryn A. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Dec 1994 19:27:53 +0500
>Question: is there any way to define the TOPICS so that some people
>on the list only will receive certain messages? In other words, is
>there a way the majority of subscribers can be set to receive everything
>EXCEPT one particular topic which only a certain group will receive, in
>effect allowing two conversations to go on simultaneously on the list?

Hi Jeff,

I am a new list owner so take this advise with a grain of salt.  I am a
subscriber on a list that uses TOPICS.  Below is how Bill Gorman has set up
his header for canine-l.  In the Default-Topics= section you can see how he
has deleted the OTHER topics by using the - in front of OTHER.  This should
set everybodies initial TOPICS option to not include the -*'d topic.  I
don't believe there is any way to prevent somebody from resetting their
topics section though, if they fshould happen to find out other topics are
available.

*  Discussion forum for Dog fanciers
*
*  List-id= CANINE-L    Newsgroups= rec.pets.dogs
*  Review= Owner        Subscription= Open,Confirm  Send= Private
*  Notify= No           Ack= No                     Files= No
*  X-Tags= Comment      Reply-to= List,Respect      Validate= All,Confirm
*  Stats= Normal,Owner  Confirm-delay= 71 h         Mail-Via= Distribute
*  Prime= Yes           Filter=
Also,netnews@*,*@coventry.ac.uk,postmast*@*,*daemon*@*,slcsquared@*
*  Notebook= Yes,X1/313,Weekly,Private Only 2 months
*  Default-options= REPRO,MAIL,DUALHDR
*  Renewal= 6-Monthly,Delay(14)
*  Default-Topics= ALL,-OTHER
*  Topics=
DOGSPEAK,TEST,ADMIN,NEWS,PERSONAL,EVENTS,DOGCHAT,VETMED,RESCUE,TRAINING
*  Digest= Yes,x1/300,daily,size(1000),23:59
*  Daily-threshold= 300 Sizelim= 300
*  Auto-Delete= No
*  Owner=        [log in to unmask]  ( W. K. 'Bill' Gorman )
*  Owner= quiet:,34AEJ7D@CMUVM                (CANINE-L List Management)
*  Owner= quiet:,[log in to unmask]  (CANINE-L List Management)
*  Owner= HIDE:,QUIET:,[log in to unmask]       (CANINE-L List Management)
*  Editor= quiet:,[log in to unmask] (CANINE-L List Management)
*  Errors-to= None

Kathryn A. Smith
EXOTIC-L list owner