Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:43:07 -0400
>Hello-
>
>I think I overwhelmed everyone with my questions earlier as I did not
>receive any response...this time I am shortening and eliminating....and
>am quite for desperate for suggestions.
>
>1.  Although I am the owner and editor of the listserv, do all postings
>(once edited) have to come with my e-mail address as the originator?

No, but you have to have an email client that supports "Resent-"
fields.  Specifically (and I'm taking this from section 2.12.6 of the
List Owner's Guide):

| - Send= Editor forwards all postings to the list editor (see the Editor=
| and Moderator= keywords). This setting allows the editor to make changes
| before forwarding the message back to the list. Note that your mail
| program must be capable of inserting "Resent-" header lines in your
| forwarded mail--if it is not capable of this, all such posts forwarded to
| the list will appear to be coming from the editor. Check with your system
| administrator if you are not sure whether or not your mail program
| inserts the "Resent-" headers.

Naturally, your next question is what email clients support "Resent-"
headers.  There's been a reasonable amount of discussion of this in
the past; you can do a search of the archives at
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?S1=lstown-l

I typed in:

        Resent- and (email near client)

, checked the 'substring search' box, and found five reasonably
relevent messages.

>2. I posted an edited message from one of the subscribers (through the
>WWW interface) and now many of the messages are coming to my listserve
>address but have his name in the TO field. When I go to this Compose a
>New Message page (by clicking on Post to the List at the WWW Listserv
>Archives page) the name of this subscriber is present as the default.
>How can I change this back to my name?

I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what's going on here.  I
suspect this has  a lot to do with how your email client is
displaying things; I'm not sure what it translates to in terms of
what is actually being sent.  Sorry.

>4. Finally, how can I place/post documents in the latest archive folder
>on the WWW site without sending them out to all subscribers (for
>instance, if they are large or many)?

Well, there's information on how to edit LISTSERV's notebook files at
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/qs/editlogs.html

However, if your site manager is amenable you may find it more useful
to set up a file archive.  See section 8 of the List Owner's Manual
for more information on this.  (All of the manuals are viewable and
downloadable in various formats from
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/index.html .)

I hope that this has been helpful.

Thanks,