Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Jul 1994 15:26:43 +0200
On Thu, 28 Jul 1994 09:26:09 -0400 John Arnfield
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>I notice that the 'reply-to' header on LISTSERV mailings (when present)
>says

>(note the lower case 't' in 'to').

Actually, LISTSERV sends it in upper case, so something must have
translated it.

>When I attempt to reply to such  mailings, my mail system (elm 2.3) does
>not recognize this header as it is apparently looking for

>(note upper case 't' in 'to').
>
>When I expressed  disatisfaction with this state of affairs,  I was told
>that the former construction (the one used by LISTSERV) is incorrect.

Sure thing. RFC822 says:

         When matching any other syntactic unit, case is to be ignored.
         For  example, the field-names "From", "FROM", "from", and even
         "FroM" are semantically equal and should all be treated ident-
         ically.

  Eric