Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 13:49:36 -0400
>What if we all adopted a policy of filtering any commercial site which
>originated a spam?  We could either post and/or set a message to any legitimate
>Am I being too drastic?  I haven't actually done this--I just throwing out the
>idea.

Draconian measure, but, as I said or implied in an earlier message,
tempting.  However, it would only work if ALL listowners would do this.
And, of course, it penalizes totally innocent people.  AND postmasters can
hardly PREVENT the spam without adopting a policy of monitoring all
outgoing mail -- and you can just imagine how well THAT would go over.

As I said, it would be a can of worms.

On the other hand, if you're faced with a provider who is building up a
reputation for not taking swift measures against spammers among their
clients, THAT might just be another matter.

Still think closing lists (i.e. messages from subscribers only) is a better
option.  Isn't an absolute guarantee, but few spammers are going to want to
subscribe to every list first, then unsubscribe again.

>Rick Narad
>Co-owner, Healthre

Mario Rups
co-owner ARCANA