"Thaxton, Dennis" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 16:02:39 -0500
        I don't believe that setting up a MX record for the new domain name
will solve your issue.  Although multiple mail exchangers can service a
domain, each MX record contains a preference number ranging from 0 through
65,535. If two MX resource records have different  preference numbers, the
mail exchanger with the lower preference number handles mail for the domain.
The mail exchanger with the higher preference number receives incoming mail
only if the preferred mail exchanger is unavailable. If two or more mail
exchangers have the same preference number, DNS responds in round-robin
fashion to MX queries, balancing the load among the mail exchangers.
        There are other solutions available, depending upon your
configuration of course.  For example, several Smartlist mailing lists are
going to be moved within our domain over to a Listserv box, once we address
several issues on Listserv that are still outstanding.  To do this, we use
mail mappings on our firewall mail server to change an internal email
address to an external email address.   Any incoming mail that matches an
external mapping name is changed to the corresponding internal mapping name.
Similarly, any outgoing mail that matches an internal mapping name is
changed to the corresponding external mapping name.  So a sample mapping
would have:

[log in to unmask]  presently maps internally to

once we go on-line with Listserv

[log in to unmask]   will map internally to

        So subscription and other list requests will continue to come to
[log in to unmask]  We then control internally where they're
delivered to.
        Another option will be to create a mail alias within your domain.
Unlike mail mappings, which are bi-directional, aliases only work for
inbound traffic.  The end result would be the same as my example above,
except it only works inbound.  Which sounds to me like what you are looking
to do.

Dennis W. Thaxton
Director for Information Systems
Naval Media Center