"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 11 Jul 1994 15:53:00 EDT
>Now and again I encounter problems with abusive users attempting
>to disrupt a list. The problem is usually easily handled
>except in the odd case when the problem originates at a ".COM" site.
>How can I find out more about these sites? Usually a SHOW NAD
>returns "unknown node" or some such.

Well, the rs.internic.net (telnet or e-mail) WHOIS can reveal
something about the domain, it might not reveal anything useful.
Such domains as compuserve.com, mcimail.com, aol.com are 3rd party
(service providers) and do not necessarily have anything more than
a vendor relationship with the abuse.  Sooo, it depends on the
exact domain in question as to whether the WHOIS lookup will provide
useful "stuff".

--  co-owner INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
[log in to unmask]   "Are you downsizing or dumbsizing?"  +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA