Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:44:39 EDT
On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 08:40:36 -0500 Winship said:
>On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Nathan Brindle wrote:
>>
>> The problem is that your compilation notebooks aren't in the Notebook=
>> path.
>I KNOW that Nathan. That is precisely teh point!

Then what is the problem?  Concretely if you want them to be indexed and
searchable, that's where they have to be.  This is not a change, this
is the way it has always worked :) Ah, your next paragraph makes this
a bit clearer.

>> Have you considered making something like an AUTOCAT-ARCHIVE list that
>
>Something like that is what I was orginally asking about, except
>NO web attachments, never, ever, flat out final.  If I have to get an
>archive list set up it will be for email searching via email and
>nothing but.  However, if it will make no difference how fast the
>searching via the web is I see no reson not to put the old archives
>back where they belong.  I, personally, couldn't care less how long
>searches via the web take, but Judith does.  If it makes no difference,
>though, Judith would be willing to reassemble the archives where they
>belong.  We would just have to talk Jim into doing it.

If you just plain don't want the web searches available, you'd have to
make the secondary list and just not enable web archives for it, but
flatly, 'wa' doesn't do the search, it pipes it to LISTSERV and uses the
same SEARCH command you'd use by mail.  So of course there's no difference
in the speed of the search itself once it gets to LISTSERV.  I think
all you need to do at this point is have Jim move your consolidated
archive files into the Notebook= path and just let them be available
on the web.  Otherwise, yeah, you need the separate "archives" list.

But again, there is really no reason to deny web searches even of the
old stuff.  You get slowdowns for the reasons I pointed out in my
previous note, not because of a problem with the search algorithm used
by 'wa'.

Nathan