Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:04:25 -0400
At 17:59 09/22/1999 Wednesday , Busdiecker, Linda E. wrote:
 >Because I work for a fairly large county with lots of agencies and
 >departments.  The Office of Public Affairs would really like for everything
 >to go out under one email address to show citizens that this is really from
 >our county government (granted, anyone can pose as anyone else, but they're
 >trying to lend credibility to this).
 >
 >We could have lots of people pose as someone else, but I thought it made
 >more sense to have the software that we've just bought ensure consistency if
 >possible ...

Linda:

Editorial Comment follows:

It is incomprehensible to me that you would allow *anyone* to "spoof" a
generic OPA FROM: address.  By doing so, you create an oxymoron:  "that
this is really from our county government"

Instead, you need to assure your customers that not just anyone can spoof
the FROM: by making appropriate list keyword adjustments so that a
"cookie" is sent to an authorized approver when someone does post (when
they spoof the FROM: field).  Then if legit, approve the posting (usually
by REPLYing OK to the cookie message).

It would be useful to review the LO's manual section:

http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/owner/owner.html#2.12.6

--
/Pete Weiss
Sr. Systems Engineer