rellieb-jean <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 21:19:03 +1000
Hello ,

I am subscribed to a list, and if I send a
SET Baba Topics: -All

and then later
Query Baba

I get
The topics you subscribe to are: None

And yet, if someone sends a message to topic ALL:

I still get that message.
So is it actually impossible to turn off ALL:

 (that is, is ALL: really only a pseudo-topic, that is merely a
shorthand way to toggle off all topics (except ALL:) or to toggle on
all topics?).

Is there no possible escape from ALL:  ?
I've looked at Appendix B: List Keyword Reference for LISTSERV® version 1.8d
and am yet desperate to escape the clutches of the hegemonic ALL:
  as it just doesn't seem right.   Why is ALL: considered necessary,
if indeed it is actually compulsory and inescapable?

--
Best regards,
 rellieb-jean