Mike Holloway <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 2 Sep 1995 13:28:00 -0400
>I ask that no one post files bigger than 30k
>anyway because of students at some sites whose mail hits their accounts
>directly.  Talk about the realities of the internet :)
>
>Apart from the training issue, which has caused some accounts to hit mailbox
>full or accounts to disappear more than with some other sites, AOL has given
>me no more problems than any other site.

I do envy you, but most of MY problems come with an AOL address stuck to
them.  This probably has to do with the nature of my list.  Most of the
people subscribed are non-professional and not affiliated with an
institution.  They need a service provider to connect to from home, don't
know the difference between a net service provider and a computer service,
and have this free trial disk sitting there on their desk.  We have a need
for passing information, and sometimes the posts can get pretty big.  I had
been instucting my AOL folks to set their subscriptions to digest, a
daunting task for most of them.  That greatly decreased the problems, and I
could just shoot down the bouncing AOL addresses before they had a chance to
accumulate.  Now AOL has thrown up a new obstacle to their customers making
use of mail lists, and made it much more difficult for me to insist that the
AOLers use digest.

The AOL management may think its saving money by discouraging use of mailing
lists, but they're simply shooting themselves savagely in the foot.

Mike Holloway               |* On average, 8 people a day on the waiting list
[log in to unmask]    |  for a transplant die for lack of a donor.
____________________________|* The end-stage diseases treated by transplant
  do not recognize age, race, nationality or pocketbook.
* There is no justifiable reason to deny organ donation, but many myths and
misunderstandings.
* Next of kin must allow donation.  Your family must know your wishes.
* Only a small fraction of the next of kin of potential donors allow
  donation to take place.
* In general, medical professionals do not recognize their obligation to
  support and promote donation.
Questions? See FAQ:
http://www.lib.ox.ac.uk/internet/news/faq/bit.listserv.transplant.html
or
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/bit.listserv.transplant/