Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 21:01:41 -0400
Paul said:

> I tend not to use sigs, as Pine makes a nasty habit of putting it at the
> top of the mail, with quotes below it.. :-)

  Not necessary.  There are at least 2 ways to avoid that in Pine and, I
presume, other mailers. One, used by a colleague of mine, does invoke the
automatic signature block whenever he composes a new message.  He just
pushes it down and types the message above it.

  My own approach is even more flexible.  I do not use the automatic
signature block function.  Instead I used my editor to create several
signature block files, each to be used for a different type of message
(e.g., two for messages to two different lists I run or help run, one
general for use when I am writing to someone outside my institution, and
one brief one for use in-house.  When I complete my message I use CONTROL
R to invoke the appropriate file, which goes wherever I have placed my
cursor.

    Here is the sig block for my primary list responsibility.

Judith Hopkins, Listowner of Autocat
     My home page: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~ulcjh
     AUTOCAT home page:
     http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/units/cts/autocat/