Shahrukh Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:00:09 +0000
In personal e-mail (excerpted with implied permission) Peter M. Weiss +1
814 863 1843 wrote:

> Just for the heck of it, please interrogate your own
> subscription status to the list
>
> Q TANGO-L
>
> and see if you as a SUBSCRIBER have REVIEW set.
> If so, maybe there is some latent interaction?

With Peter's uncanny instinct, he zeroed right in on the cause!  That
was exactly the problem.  To summarize the situation:

"If a list editor (specified on an Editor= line) is also subscribed to
the list with option 'review' then (counter to intuition) the 'review'
option of the person as a list member takes precedence over the
'Editor=' status of the same person as a list editor. The net result is
that one gets an 'approval loop,' if it is the first-listed Editor=
who's involved, i.e., anything approved (via Resent-From:) by that
editor will get sent back (to the same Editor, since he's the
first-listed Editor=) for re-approval."

It's not a big problem in practice since I can't think of a reason why
one would WANT this combination (I got into it accidentally).  But it
*is* hard to figure out (if one doesn't have Peter around :-) if one
DOES get into it!

Shahrukh
--
Shahrukh Merchant