Marc Abrahams <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Aug 1994 14:40:34 EDT
Help!  How can I prevent the multiple mailing problem that is documented below?

I am the owner of MINI-AIR, which has something over 18,000 subscribers.
We send out, typically, one item a month to everyone on the list.
(Only the editor is allowed to distribute items.)

WhenI sent out the last mailing, the list went into a loop.  Most or all of
the 18,000 subscribers received 6 copies before I found out it was happening.
I thereupon put the list on HOLD.

The problem seems to have been caused by something funny happening at
alaska.edu.  Every bounced message that people sent me (and a LOT of people
sent them to me) had the same error info (reproduced below).

So far all I have done is delete subscriber [log in to unmask],
and emailed the postmaster at alaska.edu to ask what's what there.
The postmaster, if there be such a person, has not answered any of my queries.

How can I prevent this problem from recurring?
I am by no means a LISTSERV expert, and would be very grateful for
some sound, simple advice.

By the way, in case it matters, version 1-8a of LISTSERV was installed here
just yesterday. The problem occurred with the previous version of the software.
I have not sent out anything since the problem occurred.

Here is the error info that was in every bounced message: