"Paul M. Karagianis" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 18:26:52 EST
On Mon, 23 Feb 1998 17:12:54 EST Paul M. Karagianis forwarded a
posting from Ben Parker on the LSTOWN-L:

>No, they just are running a rather older version of the 1.8d beta and that
>feature isn't in their build yet, along with many other recent features.
>You might politely ask the Site-Admin at St Johns to update to the latest
>build but they may be waiting for the offical release (for which we do not
>yet have a scheduled date so don't ask...).

The two main issues are system reliability and addressing some relaying
problems.  The last of the recent crashes was diagnosed by LSoft as being
due to a bug in a system communications layer (UCX), and the fix involves
applying a newer version.  We're looking into this.  The second is due to
our using an early build of the mailer (LSMTP) that doesn't permit us to
shut off relaying from other domains, a popular technique used by spammers,
as several of you have made the effort to report to us.  The fix is to let
LSoft upgrade LSMTP (because ours doesn't have documentation available)
which they say is best done after the UCX upgrade.

Upgrading Listserv to a newer build is a luxury item that's on the bottom
of the list of things to do.