Steve Howie <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 11:22:13 -0400
On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Jacob Haller wrote:

> >A QUIET list owner at our site cannot ADD users without being asked to
> >CONFIRM each add request. The list is Subscribe= By_Owner and Validate=NO.
> >( When a co-worker tried this on a similarly-configured test list as a
> >QUIET owner, he received no confirmation requests and the ADD requests
> >were processed immediately). Needless to say, this can be a pain on large
> >lists.
> >
> >Any ideas why these conformation requests are being sent to him?
>
> This doesn't answer your question, but until you figure out what's going
> on, there's a command to add a group of subscribers at once.  It is:
>
>    QUIET ADD listname DD=X IMPORT PW=your_password
>    //X DD *
>    user1@address1
>    user2@address2
>    userN@addressN
>    /*
>
> Since it's a single command only one confirmation is required no matter how
> many people you add.
>
> Incidentally, it's probably helpful in diagnosing your problem if you send
> a copy of your mailing list's configuration here.

Actually, Ben Parker from Lsoft solved the problem for me. If the email
client sending the request is Web-based, it asks for conformation ( for
obvious security reasons, since forging a From: field is trivial in these
cases. Just how it knows it's a Web-based client is the question :) The
user at my site was using netscape 4.04 to send the requests.

But thanks for the info about the bulk add commands - I'd totally
forgotten about it.

Scotty
--
Steve Howie                                     [log in to unmask]
Netnews and Listserv Admin                      519 824-4120 x2556