Patrick von der Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:28:59 +0100
Hi all,

this year I've been blacklisted several times by spamcop due to
listserv-autoreplys and I have to admit: spamcop is right, since
listserv is very noisy.

So currently I'm trying to reduce listserv-autoreplys and hope that some
others can share their experience.

First, 1/8 of my mailinglists are both public and have "ACK = YES". So
for spam sent to those lists, a fake-sender will receive an autoreply.
"ACK = YES" will be officially disallowed ASAP. I never wanted it, but
my predecessor made it a default... There is no way to enforce this
setting globally, right? I just have to run a script regulary, checking
the lists and disabling them for policy-violations, right?

When sending an information-mail to all listowners, I received lots of
"confirmation required"-messages and one "The LISTSERV network has
determined that you have been posting an abnormally high amount  of
identical  messages to multiple  LISTSERV mailing  lists. To ward
against a possible spamming  attempt, your posting privileges are being
withdrawn for the next 48 hours. While you will still be able to post to
the mailing  lists, your  messages  will be  forwarded to  the  list
owners  for verification before they are distributed."

Is it guaranteed that a suspected spam-sender will only get one such
e-mail? I'd disable this e-mail, but can't find a template to do so.
BTW, I have only been sending to listowners and those e-mails have been
quietly "Rejected by spam checker and discarded." (listserv-log).
At the very least the template should be extended to include "if you
send to listowners, your e-mail will be dropped", otherwise the sender
will be confused. I'd consider it to be better not to drop those e-mails
to listowners, since people who are blacklisted might want to contact
the listowners to resolve that issue. No way, right?

The next kind of auto-replys I'd like to reduce is the kind "Waiting for
moderation". Since all messages pass through SpamAssassin before being
processed by listserv, I thought I'd might use the ContentFilter to do
something like "highly suspicious spam: moderate, but don't inform
sender. suspicious message: moderate, sent information".
I suppose if it was about rejection and if I modify the correct
template, I could achieve that. Something like "Action: REJECT spam" and
have the template check, 'if the message is "spam" then result ".QQ"'.
However, I can't find such a template int the first place and sadly
"Action: MODERATE" does not accept a message in the first place... Any
ideas what could be done to send "waiting for moderation" conditionally?

Any further ideas? Messages I have missed bould should be disabled?

--
CU,
    Patrick.