Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 29 Dec 1996 20:24:27 -0700
At 02:53 PM 12/29/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Average: 300 messages per day, minimum.  (I used to be canary in the coal
>mine where I worked -- if *I* wasn't getting any e-mail, NO ONE was getting
>any, and our systems administrator told me in no uncertain terms I was to
>notify him immediately if two hours passed without new e-mail!)  If nothing
>else, it teaches you RUTHLESS efficiency in handling e-mail.  And, of
>course, I actually PARTICIPATE in less than half of these.

Well, Mario is another one....no surprise.  I'm also the email canary for
Boise State University where I spend time working as Asst Postmaster and
Network Info Coord.  The PM has most of his stuff autodeleted so I'm the
main canary.  And as I own lists both at IDBSU and at other sites (UGA,
american.edu, etc.), I also end up monitoring other parts of net traffic.
If the other net folks in the Computer Center hear from me that the SMTP
gateway is hosed, etc, etc, they know it is true.  No one else may have
complained yet, since there are MANY reasons that the average user may not
get mail for six or more hours.  But if I don't something is genuinely broken.

cheers

cyclops

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind the one-eyed man is king.