Karen Reznek <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:46:06 -0400
Pete Weiss wrote:

> BTW, though I don't know if Karen's continuation syntax is correct

A brief moment of panic while I wondered if I had used the wrong slashes
:-)

The user manual documents this in the following section:

4.1.1.  Adding users whose address and real name exceed 80 characters

<description of problem and results snipped>

To avoid this problem, set up your ADD command with a "continuation card"
as follows:

// QUIET ADD MYLIST [log in to unmask] ,
His Name
***

I've also used it for changes. Since I am one of those people with a long
address (my alternate one) I've had to become familiar with this stuff :-).

I don't know if Listserv wraps incoming mail to a certain length, but some
email systems do that. That is when you see the folks who are set to 80
columns wrap a word or two down to the next line when the mail comes
through. Another solution is to use the web interface if it is set up. That
has an option to send listserv commands, and you shouldn't have to worry
about length.

BTW, the other use I have found for the // ... , is when using GETPOST for
a large number of posts. I just end each line before the last one with the
<space>, and can retrieve as many posts as I want with one GETPOST command.

--
Karen Reznek, co-listowner - Asperger
[log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]