Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Oct 1992 22:01:16 +0100
On Wed, 14 Oct 1992 12:12:34 PDT Richard Childers <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>"You're looking at routing from the listserv to you, not from the originator
> to the listserv."
>
>True. I was demonstrating header interpretation ... I didn't take into account
>the LISTSERVer.
>
>"Oh?  Where's the evidence that it came from ra.msstate.edu?"
>
>Logged by the LISTSERVer, as well as wherever you connected to from ...

I am tired  of this discussion and very tired  of this particular poster.
The last statement  is wrong, and irrelevant. There  are techniques which
are 100% detect-proof,  as the source IP address is  faked and IP routers
do  not log  packets. There  are  also many  SMTP hosts  which don't  log
anything, due to  administrative decision, lack of  disk space, whatever.
So no matter how much Richard  Childers wishes he were right, the reality
is that Internet mail  is not safe and that hackers  with a certain level
of experience and access to the  right hardware can inject messages which
cannot be  traced at all,  not even if someone  were to suggest  that the
message just might  have been generated by Bill Clinton  and the FBI were
ordered to make the most thorough investigation in their entire career.

  Eric