Andrew Morrow <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 21:55:20 -0400
Pauline M. Marshall <[log in to unmask]> writes

> My list has been experiencing 'trucated' digests since I 'adopted' it at
> the end of Jan.  I have finally gotten some help for the folks effected,
> and hopefully have figured out WHY it happens, but now I am looking for a
> fix, or a workaround (short of setting NOMIME, as it is the MIME digests
> these people prefer).
>
> When a subscriber is on the digest, and MIME, if someone posting to the
> list, happens to put a line in their message like:
>
> ----------------
>
> To exactly the same length as the digest seperator, the digest is
> truncated after that line.  Is there any way to fix this, or is this a
> known bug(?) with the MIME digests and unfixable (short of setting nomime
> which they would rather not do.)?  The regular (nomime) digests are
> delivered fine.  My guess is that listserv is seeing that line, and
> thinking it is the end of the message, and getting confused.
>
> Can anyone help me here, or at least explain WHY this happens?

I've had some complaints as well from my list members but when I
tried testing on LISTSERV 1.8d(VM) and LISTSERV-Lite 1.8c(FreeBSD),
any message that I sent with 30 dashes at the beginning of a line had
an extra space inserted before it by the LISTSERV so that the line
would not conflict with the

clause that LISTSERV puts in the header of MIME digests.

Andrew.