Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 08:17:17 -0600
>Hi !
>
>I have  a mailing list for my company which covers all my staff but I also
>want sub mailing lists for my departments. I am using Listserv(R) Lite 1.8d.
>
>Any ideas ????

Sub-lists aren't allowed in LISTSERV Lite.  (Section 2.2 of the Site
Manager's Manual lists keywords that aren't allowed under LISTSERV
Lite, and Sub-lists= is one of them.)

The main options I can think of are to create the individual
department mailing lists and subscribe them all to the big
all-company mailing list (in which case you'd delete all other
subscriptions to the big mailing list) or to create the departmental
mailing lists and maintain them seperately from the large mailing
list.  The problem with the former approach is that if someone is on
more than one mailing list he or she will get duplicate mail; the
problem with the latter approach is that it requires a duplication of
effort as users will have to be added, removed, etc. to multiple
mailing lists.

There's a mailing list devoted specifically to LISTSERV Lite support:
[log in to unmask] .  You may wish to pose your query
there as people may have some experience with situations similar to
yours.
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc