Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:46:00 -0400
Hello folks,

Last week, my Internet service provider (ISP) was hacked twice in two days,
with the result of nearly all user files were destroyed.

Because of this, my ISP has now disallowed the use of Telnet and FTP.  Now
I've been introduced to software using encryption, SSH and SCP, which is the
only kind my ISP now allows.

After a friend told me that on his home cable modem connection that he gets
about 20 attempted breakins per hour, 24/7 (thank goodness for firewalls),
it became clear to me that Internet terrorism is not just the wave of the
future, it happens on a daily basis.

What does this trend portend for Listserv?  Is there a need for Listserv to
start using encryption procedures to protect itself and those using it?

I'd be interested in hearing from the L-Soft folks as well as observations
from subscribers.

Bob Kosovsky -- Librarian
[log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]
    Listowner: [log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask]
                    Administrivia to: [log in to unmask]
------My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions-------