Ruben Botello <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 09:54:10 -0700
From Dr. Botello:
        Censorship on the Internet is becoming repugnant to many of my
associates and I.  It is already here, and we don't need additional
censorship coming from our elected officials in Congress and the White House.
        All politicians in our federal government are involved in issues
that affect all Americans every day of our lives, and most of them grab at
every issue that can gain them national and(or) global attention for their
own personal gain, at taxpayers' expense.  To propose regulatory limits on
contacting these tax-subsidized officials is indeed abhorrent.
        We pay good money for access to the Internet, as well as for our
elected officials to represent our national interests.  The added expense of
using the U.S. Postal Service to communicate with these officials defeats
the purpose for why many individuals and organizations are on the Internet
in the first place.
        We either support freedom of speech on the Internet, or we don't.
This is no flame, simply an effort to lend common sense to this matter.
        Our federal officials have plenty of staff when it comes to overseas
junkets.  Reading and responding to E-Mail is far more cost-effective and
easier than opening, reading, responding to and filing Postal Mail, plus our
representatives can know the climate of the nation, of the moment.
From Murphy Sewall:
>>>many bozos >send

From Lynn Richardson:
>>>I know this doesn't really relate to this list, but I find this practice
>>>*very* disturbing.
>>>Lynn Richardson, PhD (in political science!)
From Botello:
>>        To limit our participation in our democratic form of government via
>>the Internet, as Mr. Sewall proposes is not only censorship, but oppressive.

From Sewall: