Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:14:08 -0500
On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Winship wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Chris Barnes wrote:
>> I'm pretty certain you'll not find either.  What I had to do was:
>> 1) setup a 2nd email address which I use purely for my moderator tasks.
>> 2) use a different email program which will allow me to edit the original
>> text, while keeping the headers intact.
>>
>> #2 is really the tricky part as finding such a program is VERY difficult.
>
>UNIX Pine does fine on that (I squabbled with Eric years ago to get it
>to work), so does Elm.  The IMAP system can get in the way, depends on
>how it is set up.  Can edit the header, if want/need to, or leave it
>alone.

Unix Pine's "bounce" function is great for forwarding a message using
"Resent-" headers (which is what is needed here), but it won't allow
you to edit the message you are "bouncing".  Once again, you have to
edit the mail folder directly as a file using something like Emacs,
making the needed changes to the text of the message and being careful
to not screw up the headers in the process.  Then you go back in with
Pine and "bounce" the message.  Any of us who used to use the
forwarding function of VM/CMS MAIL knows the kludge factor in this.

Dennis