Wed, 25 Dec 1996 18:42:52 -0600
> This is the second from this address.  THe "from" and "to" are both the
> same address.  My address doesn show in the header. How is this done
> (genrally - not a "how to") and how do I guard against it.
> Subject:
>         Our Gender Family
>   Date:
>         Wed, 25 Dec 1996 13:42:50 -0500
>   From:
>     To:

This is done with "blind carbon copy", very easy to do.  You just do your
email in the usuall way, address it to yourself, or a fake address,
then add hundreds of bcc: addresses.  They never show up in the header of
the recipient.

There are lots of ways to protect your list from this, starting with
restricting posting to subscribers.  Could allow non-subscribers to
to post once their items are approved by the listowner, etc.
LISTSERV(tm) has lots of tools (keywords) which can be used in just
about any combination you want to get the security you desire for your
list.  You might try semi-moderation:

Send= Editor
Editor= [log in to unmask],(LISTNAME)

Just put in your address and the listname, include the parentheses and
the comma.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L