Steve Howie <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Dec 1995 15:54:28 -0500
On Thu, 21 Dec 1995, Lawrence J. Clark wrote:

> Okay, boys and girls, now I'm really confused.  This is the last message I sent:
>
>  amlit2-l welcome . . . . . Welcome file for AMLIT2-L
>
> Amlit2-L WELCOME PW=mypassword
>

>  PUT Welcome to Amlit2-L, the list for discussing American Literature from
> 1880--present.  This list is used as a discussion forum for Tomball College
> literature students and anyone else interested in American Literature of
> this period.

Did the first line in the body of your mail message have the word "PUT "
?? i.e. did it look like

PUT Amlit2-L WELCOME PW=mypassword

If it didn't then Listserv won't know what to do with the rest of the
message. The Welcome message should start on the next line after this
"header".i.e.

PUT Amlit2-L WELCOME PW=mypassword

        <  message text  >

Scotty
Steve Howie                             Email:  [log in to unmask]
NetNews and Gopher Admin.               Phone:  (519) 824-4120 x2556
Computing and Communications Svcs.      Fax:    (519) 763-6143
University of Guelph

If it's not Scottish its CRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPP

[ .. ]