"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 11:09:00 EST
>The following SPAM made it through the SPAM filter and SPAM detector to
>Museum-L. It appears that the message originated on the newsgroup and made it
>through. Is there anyway to filter out messages that start with a dollar sign?
>I have seen several SPAMS that have made it through that are similar to this
>one.

John:

First, there was and is no SPAM filter per se.  There are
various techniques that both LISTSERV and a list-owner (can)
use to help AVOID SPAM, but none of them are 100 % accurate.
The one that occurs w/o list-owner involvement did NOT apply
to this case, because it did not represent a mega
distribution (multiple LISTSERV-based lists).

A technique that is used by list-owners is to set their list
definition so that only SUBSCRIBERS may post, instead of all
of the world.  You have it setup for world-posting (though
with a NETNEWS gateway, this does not apply).

Finally, in this specific case, the SPAM came from Usenet
via the NETNEWS-mail gateway.  Your going to have to decide
if it is worthwhile to have Usenet-ers have access to your
list.  Jim McIntosh recently responded to a BIT.ADMIN
inquiry (see append) on how to moderate them.  Remember:
Usenet is Usenet, and e-mail is e-mail i.e, they are
different systems w/ different controls.  The intersection
of the two are Usenet-mail gateway(s).

>Newsgroups: bit.listserv.museum-l

--  co-owner:   INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
URL:mailto:[log in to unmask]                "I get paid by the millisecond"

*
*  Museum discussion list
*
*  Review= Private    Subscription= Open,Confirm         Send= Public
*  Daily-Threshold= 80
*  Notify= Yes        Reply-to= List,Ignore
*  Validate= No       Ack= Yes
*  Errors-To= [log in to unmask]
*  Notebook= Yes,E:\FTP\LISTS\MUSEUM-L,Weekly,Public
*  Newsgroups= bit.listserv.museum-l

<append>